Saturday, August 9, 2014

My Book Review of Wheat Belly by William Davis, MD

Wheat Belly: Lose the Wheat, Lose the Weight, and Find Your Path Back to HealthWheat Belly: Lose the Wheat, Lose the Weight, and Find Your Path Back to Health by William Davis
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This book had way too many medical terms for my taste, pun intended. I listened to this book on audio while walking, as I would have never been able to get through it by reading it. However, I learned enough about the effects of modern wheat to change my diet.

I have typically been a skeptic of organic and all the hype around gluten-free. However, this author explains very well how the genetic transformation of wheat in order to increase yield has resulted in adverse effects as proven by the large bellies of wheat consuming nations over the last 40 years. There is enough empirical evidence of people who have lost weight by avoiding wheat that encourages me to give this a try even though I will miss the thousands of foods that have wheat in them. Wheat is in more things than just cereal and pizza dough and bread. You would not believe how widespread the use of wheat is in most all of our foods.

It looks like wheat avoidance has worked even for LeBron James, so why not me? Today is day 5 of my wheat free - or nearly wheat free - experience. I'm going to give it a try for a while, and see what the results are. Back to the book...

The author does explain a lot of the medical implications of wheat - some proven, some implied - ranging from brain health to cancer to hair loss to skin conditions such as acne to celiac disease, and so on. I think it is worthwhile to give this a shot, and so I will update this review later if I have any results to report, pro or con.

View all my reviews

No comments: