Friday, October 30, 2020

8 Weeks Post-Op: Seeking My Blue Jeans from 1998

I know I'm not back to 1998 weight yet, but I'm definitely about to dust off some old jeans in the top of my closet.  This bariatric weight loss has been unlike any other diet or exercise regimen in the past.  Obviously, the rate and pace is unmatched.  But it really seems like I am losing weight in my stomach more so than usual - and that is just great.  I expect it's due to eating much less bread than ever in my life. 

I'm a numbers guy, so I weigh every day, and my Internet enabled scale drops the number right into MyFitnessPal.  I also have been snapping a selfie every day for the purpose of creating a chart like this at some point.  So here it is: 


I'm really pleased with the photos, and how my face has been thinning.  Man, I looked and felt so bloated before this.  I'm about halfway to my goal.  Clearly my rate of loss has slowed, as expected, but I think/hope I will continue to lose into the new year.

As for issues, problems, etc.  I still maintain that I have been a best-case scenario patient.  I've not had any complications, knock on wood.  As noted in my post 2 weeks ago, I stopped my morning coffee as it seemed to be upsetting my stomach.  I've had probably 2 coffees since, during the day, without issue.  I don't miss the morning coffee a lot, so I will probably avoid it for a while.  I have avoided soft drinks, but I wasn't a big soft drinker even before this - maybe 4 cans a week.  Now: none.  As for beer, I've probably had 3 in the last 9 weeks, and those were ingested so slowly, they were warm before I could finish them.  Main issue is the carbonation, which tingles my stomach in not a good way.  If I eat too fast it will feel like I swallowed a rock.  That will usually pass within 1 minute - 15 minutes.  If I eat too much or if I eat something really sugary (like a few bites of cake) I will feel a little nauseous.   

One thing I heard others say about bariatric is that you will be a gas factory, and that is becoming more and more true!  Fortunately, my farts don't stink (usually :-)), but the sheer volume of gaseous material coming from me is spectacular.  It's pretty funny, and usually happens when I'm walking.  Or sitting.  Or standing.  Or laying in bed.  Pretty much anytime.  :-).  It's all good, and feels better after it happens.  Never any pain associated with it.  I'm wondering - Where is it all coming from?  Speaking of TMI, I have had some diarrhea over the past week or so.  Usually mid-morning or mid-day.  Morning poop, when I have one, is usually normal.  I am drinking water throughout the day and keep my water bottle by my side all the time.  That, in and of itself, is a better habit than before.

I can pretty much eat what I want, but I do try to follow the guidance of filling up on protein more so than veggies or starches.  I am still drinking a little water or tea or milk when I eat, though they advise not to drink liquids when eating (+/- 30 minutes of meal time).  I am eating a small bowl of cereal for breakfast 1-2 days a week.  Sometimes 2/3 of a high protein bagel.  I know both are unadvised, but I am doing it in moderation.  I have a 1 egg omelette quite often.  Still eating yoghurt and cottage cheese for snacks.  I will order off the kids' menu sometimes at restaurants.  For lunch and dinner, I eat regular stuff as before, just MUCH LESS of it, and again, focused on protein more than other meal components.

As news of my surgery has been coming more to light with friends and distant friends, I'm learning about more and more people who've had a bariatric procedure.  I hope that my experience will help others decide whether it's right for them.  There's a stigma about it, and I really do believe it is a last resort.  But many people need to consider it, rather than continue to break chairs and fail at dieting over and over, en route to a slow fat death, like I did for many years.

No comments: